Boys Hockey Sports

Overtime Victory Against Deerfield Ends Losing Streak

With less than two minutes remaining in the overtime period against Deerfield, Jonny Edelson ’17 ripped a slap shot on net that ricocheted off a slew of defenders before slipping into the bottom corner of the net. Edelson’s goal gave Andover Boys Hockey a 4-3 overtime win on Wednesday, propelling the team to a 7-10-1 record after a 4-1 loss to Loomis Chaffee on Saturday.

Coming off of a four-game losing streak leading up to Deerfield, Andover focused on scoring early in Wednesday’s contest.

Before the match, Head Coach Paul Tortorella ’80 said, “We have to have a better start. We’ve been having trouble getting leads – it has to do with our approach to the beginning of the game. We’ve been working on that, so we hope that you’ll see a much stronger and quicker and more intense first period from the Andover team.”

Coach Tortorella’s strategy proved to be successful. Edelson put Andover up 1-0 in the first 30 seconds of the game with a powerful top shelf wrist shot, and forward Kyle Welch ’18 slotted in a second goal merely 30 seconds later. Andover’s blazing start proved crucial to its success. Deerfield barraged Andover’s net with an onslaught of shots, outshooting Andover 55-29 in total. By the end of the first period, Deerfield had tied the game at 2-2.

Early in the second period, Nick Latham ’16 capitalized on a misplayed lob from the Deerfield goalie to put Andover up 3-2. Deerfield managed to even the score once again, and regulation ended at 3-3.

In the dying moments of overtime, Captain Payton Jancsy ’16 carried the puck into the offensive zone before losing it in the frenzy behind the net. Tyler Levine ’16, a winger, emerged with the puck and managed to whip a pass to Edelson, who sealed the game for Andover.

At Loomis on Saturday, Andover struggled to gain a lead at the beginning of the game. In the opening period, it conceded two penalties and allowed three goals.

After settling in and making adjustments through the first period, Andover broke through with a goal from defenseman Michael McGreal ’17. The team, however, could not maintain its momentum and allowed Loomis another goal that finished the game 4-1.

Andover looks for another win at Belmont Hill on Friday.