Boys Hockey Sports Winter Sports

Offensive Outburst Not Enough to Topple Thayer

Assistant Captain Kyle Moss ’15 slashed into Thayer’s defensive zone and ripped a shot past the goalie’s outstretched glove, scoring Andover’s fifth and final goal of the game. Andover Boys Hockey found itself unable to add onto Moss’s goal and ended up losing 7-5 last Friday. The loss brought Andover’s record to 5-8-2. Andover’s performance highlighted the team’s efficiency in the offensive zone. Although the team only had 15 shots on net, it stayed competitive throughout the game. Thayer, on the other hand, converted seven goals on a whopping 38 shots on target. Defenseman Payton Jancsy ’16 said, “Our offensive production was key during our Thayer game. We had a lot of guys contribute on the scoresheet, and we were able to convert on a minimal amount of chances.” Starting forwards Tyler Levine ’16 and Collin Nugent ’16 each scored a goal and tallied an assist in the game, giving them a combined total of 17 goals and 19 assists this season. Moss, Jancsy and Jack Orne ’15 also tallied goals of their own. Despite the promising results in the offensive zone, Andover struggled to play with intensity throughout the game. “I thought we did a very nice job starting the game strong and finishing the game strong. But we lacked to keep our intensity for the full 54 minutes. We need to improve on playing the entire game with the same focus and energy,” said Moss. Andover’s first goal of the game, scored by Jancsy, came just a minute and ten seconds after the opening faceoff. After conceding a goal, the team came back with a goal from Levine in the last minute of the first period, giving Andover a 2-1 lead going into the second period. The team faltered for the next 18 minutes and allowed three goals. Andover found itself in a 4-3 deficit heading into the third period. Thayer pulled away down the stretch, however, as Andover gave up three goals and responded with just two of its own. After Moss’s goal cut into Thayer’s lead and gave the team momentum for the final two minutes of regulation, Thayer scored an empty net goal with only 20 seconds left. Andover had trouble avoiding the penalty box throughout the game and made six trips to the box. Starting forward John Festa ’15 said after the game, “We did end up taking too many penalties that really put us behind. Along with that, we need to bear down a little more in our defensive end.” Goaltender Tripp Hutchinson ’17 made his first start for the team, replacing Captain Erik Wurman ’15, who was out with an illness. “I believe that Hutchinson had a great game,” Festa said. “That was his first start of the season and I think he really showed some great poise throughout the game.” Andover will look to bounce back when it faces off against Loomis Chaffee on Saturday.