Fall Sports Girls Soccer Sports

Girls Trump Exeter, Fall After Sudden Death Overtime Goal

Darting into the box, Jeanine Moreau ’16 connected with a cross from Kaitlin Hoang ’17 and hammered the ball into the back of the net to score Andover Girls Soccer’s second goal in five minutes against Exeter. The team would go on to pull off a resounding 3-1 victory on Saturday and secure itself a playoff spot for the NEPSAC 2014 Class A Tournament. In the tournament, Andover fell short of Westminster in a heartbreaking 2-1 loss in overtime.

Andover came out blazing against Exeter and scored two goals within the first ten minutes of the game. Caroline Garrity ’15 opened the scoring with a well-placed shot from inside the 18-yard box, and Moreau followed up soon after.

“We definitely came out strong, and the two quick goals gave us a lot of energy, but we weren’t able to get another goal in the first half. We were able to keep possession for most of the game, but there was a ten-minute spell after Exeter scored where we let them think they were back in the game,” wrote Olivia LaMarche ’16 in an email to The Phillipian.

Exeter managed to get onto the scoreboard just before the half ended to cut down Andover’s lead. The teams remained locked in a battle for possession during the second half with good offensive chances coming from both sides.

Moments before the final whistle, Zoe Oasis ’17 latched onto a pinpoint through-ball from Natalia Suarez ’17. As the crowd held its breath, Oasis deftly threaded the ball through the keeper’s legs to cap off the thrilling victory, which was Andover’s first win in three years against Exeter.

With the win on Saturday, Andover clinched the fifth seed for the NEPSAC 2014 Class A Tournament. After failing to make playoffs last year, the team was excited to return.

Before the game, Caroline Shipley ’16 said, “Since I was a new member to the team as a Lower last year, I’ve never experienced the playoffs. I’m super excited to see what it’s all about. We’re going to have to continue to do what we have done all season.”

Andover played against fourth-seeded Westminster in its first playoff game on Wednesday. Despite a strong performance, Andover suffered a heartbreaking 2-1 loss in overtime.

During regulation time, Andover controlled possession and stifled Westminster’s offensive opportunities. The team struggled to finish in the final third of the field after creating several opportunities.

In the 63rd minute, Alana Humes ’15 forced Westminster to score on themselves with her pressure in Westminster’s 18-yard box. At the end of the 90 minutes, the score of 1-1 pushed the teams into overtime.

Even in overtime, both teams struggled to break the deadlock. A penalty shootout was on the horizon when Westminster converted with only a minute left in overtime to abruptly end Andover’s season.

Despite the tough loss, the team is still proud of its season and the tremendous improvement it saw during the tumultuous 2013 season.

Co-Captain Kinsey Yost ’15 said, “This season far exceeded my expectations. I did not expect to play as well as we did, let alone make it to the tournament. I am so proud of each and every one of the girls, and, if I could go back and do it all again, I wouldn’t change a single second of it.”