Andover Suffers Tough Loss Against Tabor; Bounces Back Strong against Brooks

Eddie Ellis ’13 took the puck down the right side of the ice, cut into the middle and with a slapshot into Tabor’s net put Andover ahead 2-1 with 6:55 gone in the second period. After a quiet first period, both teams came out firing in the second. Tabor led off the scoring with a shorthanded goal 2:47 in, but Bryan Ackil ’14 quickly leveled the score. Three minutes later, Assistant Captain Ellis added another goal to Andover’s tally but Tabor came right back at it with a goal of their own at the nine minute mark. During the first start of his Andover career, goalie Ross Bendetson ’13 played an exceptional game. Fueled by the large crowd, Bendetson’s saves helped Andover stay in the game. “It was great to see him finally get a shot, he’s been working hard all season and he deserved it. It was too bad we couldn’t get him the win but he definitely said a lot with his performance,” said Seamus O’Neill ’13. The momentum swayed toward Tabor, as two minutes into the third period Tabor found the back of the net to make it 3-2. With about six minutes left to play the home side equalized once again with a goal from Andrew Sullivan ’11, but with three minutes remaining, a Tabor forward broke down the right-hand side on a two on one, after slowing down the fast break, the Tabor player ripped a shot top corner, only to be denied by a great glove-hand save from Bendetson. With 30 seconds left, and on a four on three power play, the visitors found the back of the net to make it 4-3. Andover pulled Bendetson to put more offensive players on the line but the plan backfired as the visitors were able to find the empty net once again. Later in the week, Andover dominated an undersized Brooks team taking a 4-0 victory. The scoring began with 12 minutes down in the second as Ellis broke down the right hand side once again, this time cutting onto the left, and then back to the right to find the top corner of the net. Three minutes later, Ellis found the back of the net again. The team continued its dominance into the second period after a goal form Sullivan. Minutes later Tommy Shannon ’12 followed up with a goal of his own. Taking the puck from the point, Shannon ripped a slap shot that found the top left corner of the net to make it 4-0. “We really came together as a team against Brooks. We were definitely desperate for a win, and everyone really had a chip on their shoulder from the start of the game. Once we found our groove and had the lead, we never looked back,” said Shannon. On Wednesday, Andover fell to a strong NMH team, losing 8-3. Andover will face Exeter on Exeter’s ice this Saturday.