Girls Hockey Breaks Deadlock With OT Goal by Walsh ’11; Stellar Saves by Fromkin ’09 Continue to Keep Andover in Games

With just over two minutes left in overtime, Nancy Ann Little ’08, passed the puck back to Kellie Walsh ’11, who took a wrist-shot and found the top corner against Governor’s Academy’s goalie, to win the game for Andover, 1-0. Governor’s Academy came out with momentum and dominated the beginning of the first period, taking the first ten shots of the game. Andover, building on its own momentum from the play of Alissa Fromkin ‘09’s in the net who finished the period with fifteen saves. Andover came into the game desperately needing a victory, coming off of close games in which they just could not find the back of the net. The team was not stopped by its unsuccessful record; instead, it gave them even more fuel to work off of against Governor’s. In the second and third periods, Andover barely missed the net on shots from huge rebounds kicked out by the Governor’s goalie. The team also set up beautiful plays, working off of crisp passes and connecting give-and-goes on its power-plays. Later, Captain Stephanie Clegg ’08 and Lindsay Newman ’09 created an excellent scoring opportunity out of the corner, but the keeper found Clegg’s shot and kept the score at 0-0. Governor’s Academy did not give Andover the game, though, and they kept the puck in its offensive zone, tiring out Andover and constantly testing out Fromkin with shots from the slot as well as from breakaways. “We demonstrated a lot of heart, and it paid off against Governor’s,” said Co-Captain Kate Foley ’08. On Wednesday, Andover fell 3-0 to Noble & Greenough. The game started off on a bad note when just minutes into the game, Nobles dumped the puck in off the boards, only to have it ricochet off the glass and into the goal as Fromkin moved behind the puck to corral the puck and find an open teammate. “It was hard to get behind after such a fluke goal, but we did a good job of staying in the game emotionally,” said Coach Martha Fenton. Andover played with Nobles throughout the game, and in the first period Andover played well in its defensive zone. In the second period, Nobles took advantage of a penalty against Andover and scored off a rebound to pull ahead 2-0. Later in the second period, Nobles got on the scoreboard again. Playing a penalty kill well, a Nobles player intercepted a pass at its offensive blue line to score on a breakaway. Fromkin kept Andover in yet another game, stopping around 35 shots. Andover came into the game knowing that Nobles was a strong team. Because Nobles kept Andover in its defensive zone for long periods of time, Andover lost its offensive mindset and had trouble creating its rhythm in the offensive zone. Andover did skate hard and fore-checked well against Nobles to come up with the puck in dangerous places in the offensive zone multiple times. During the third period Coach Martha Fenton changed up the game plan and moved defenseman, Newman, up to offense. The team played well, getting off several shots, but still Andover could not find the back of the net.