Boys Hockey

Two Tight Boys Hockey Games End in Draws

Cole Quisenberry ’18 curled off the half wall and ripped a snap shot towards the right side of the net, scoring against Belmont Hill’s goalie on Friday night. Ultimately, the game ended in a 3-3 tie for Andover Boys Hockey. Along with a 3-2 loss to Dexter Southfield on Saturday, and another 3-3 tie with Kimball Union Academy (KUA) on Wednesday, the team’s record now stands at 10-8-2.

On Friday, Andover started off the game slow, allowing Belmont Hill to score the first goal of the game. After Belmont Hill took a penalty, however, Andover responded on a power play. Quisenberry took a low, hard shot from the top of the zone, and Christian Powers ’19 was able to get a stick on the puck, and tip it into the net.

Quisenberry wrote in an email to The Phillipian, “We switched some guys around on the power play which turned out to be very beneficial. Our focus against Belmont Hill with our power play was to have the puck with confidence in the offensive zone, move it quick, and get shot through and on net. This ended up getting us all three of our goals that game.”

Shortly after, Belmont Hill took another penalty, giving the team another chance to capitalize in a power play. Post-Graduate (PG) Alec Robitaille ’17 carried the puck into the zone and got a quick shot off on net, which Quinn Doyle ’18 redirected to give Andover a 2-1 lead.

Soon after, Belmont Hill scored a quick goal to tie the game at two goals each at the end of the first period.

The second period consisted of back and forth play, as both teams netted a goal each to enter the third period tied 3-3.

Andover fought hard throughout the third period and five minute overtime, but neither team was able to find the back of the net.

PG Kyle Lynch ’17 said, “The team as a whole has started playing better and much more disciplined during the last few games.”

On Saturday, Andover fell behind early, allowing two Dexter goals in the first period. Just before the first period closed, Powers skated the puck over the blue line, and sent the puck to the back of the net, reducing Andover’s deficit to one goal.

Dexter came out strong again early in the second period and scored to take a 3-1 lead. Andover answered with a wrap-around goal from Kevin Kastholm ’17.

During the third period, the team was unable to capitalize on its opportunities and Andover ultimately lost 3-2. But Andover was the first team to outshoot the talented Dexter team thus far this season.

Quisenberry said, “Dexter was a fast and skilled team. We showed how high of a level our team can compete at, especially when playing these higher ranked teams. We put a lot of pucks on net, but we needed to do a better job of getting to the rebounds.”

On Wednesday, despite an early lead, Andover tied KUA 3-3. The team opened up with Jack Legler ’17 tipping in a shot from PG Brendan Ryan ’17.

KUA responded with a goal to tie the game, but Andover did not let up. After killing a KUA power play opportunity, Ryan came out of the box on a breakaway and netted the puck between the goalie’s legs to give Andover a 2-1 lead.

Once again, KUA responded with another goal to end the second period tied 2-2.

Quisenberry curled out from behind the net and shot bar down to give Andover a 3-2 lead during the first part of the third period. KUA, however, scored another goal later in the third period to end the game in a 3-3 tie.

Andover looks to rebound from the loss and two ties and earn a win this Friday night against Governor’s.