Boys Soccer

Boys Soccer Finds its Stride in Five-Game Undefeated Streak

With a comfortable three-goal lead already on the scoreboard, Post-Graduate Andriy Proctor ’17 took a strike from 20 yards out and drilled the ball into the back of the net, securing Andover a 4-1 victory over Tilton last Saturday. On Monday, Andover’s hard-fought battle against Milton, last year’s Nepsac Division-I champions, ended in a 1-1 draw. Andover’s record now stands at 6-2-2.

Against Tilton, the team came out strong in the first half and managed to put three goals on the scoreboard before the whistle. Co-Captain Henry Meyerrose ’17 was first to score, followed by a solo effort from Owen Glover ’19, and Proctor’s first goal.

Head Coach Will Orben said, “The team pressed Tilton high up the field and finished their chances – we have a great habit of starting games well and it showed at Tilton.’’

Andover continued its control over the game in the second half, as Proctor put in his second goal of the day, and Andover’s fourth.

Andover’s success was largely built off the strong performance from the defense. The team held Tilton scoreless for a majority of the game. However, in the final minutes, Tilton managed to take away Andover’s clean sheet with a penalty shot.

Owen Glover ’19 said, “We attacked really quickly, and we tried to play with a lot of intent getting towards the ball really fast; we kept that pressure on them and eventually they caved.”

The team also played together as a unit, moving the ball well and controlling possession.

Proctor said, “We had more fluidity in the midfield and a new dynamic which has allowed us to link up more.”

Against Milton, Andover carried its energy into a challenging match against a more competitive opponent. The team started out well, as Proctor put Andover in front with a goal in the first half. Andover, however, wasn’t able to extend the lead throughout the game despite several scoring opportunities.

Meyerrose said, “We had some good opportunities but needed to be more effective in that last pass and finish.”

Eventually in the second half, Milton managed to tie the game at 1-1. With 20 minutes still left on the clock, the defense and the keeper were forced into a high-pressure situation. The team, though, maintained its composure.

Max Levi ’19 said, “The defense played really well and kept us in it. Despite giving up a goal, they managed to keep their heads in it and stay focused.”

Will Raphael ’18 said, “We dug in deep, worked really hard, and made sure that we stayed in our spots.”

The game remained at a 1-1 deadlock until the final whistle. 

Coach Orben said, “They were a quality team and despite some great work from our defense and our goalkeeper, they evened the score in the second half. While [we were] disappointed not to win, we felt good about our effort and organization that day.’’

Andover hopes to rebound with a win against Northfield Mount Hermon on Saturday.