Mike Gallagher ’20 is a three-year Senior from Hermosa Beach, California. On campus, he is a proctor in Foxcroft Hall, Co-Captain of Andover Boys Hockey, and plays guitar.
1. How did you start playing hockey?
I started playing hockey when I was around five. My dad brought me to watch kids play at a hockey rink in the mall, and he asked me if I wanted to play because he played when I was growing up. The most important thing in hockey to me is teamwork and learning to work with others.
2. How does the role of captain help you engage with others on the team?
This year specifically, we had a couple of rough patches. Having this leadership role has really taught me how to get through adversity.
3. Who is your favorite hockey player?
My favorite hockey player growing up was Sidney Crosby. I actually got to meet him, and so he taught me a lot about what it means to be a leader and other skills in life.
4. What is the community like at Foxcroft?
One thing that is important to us in Foxcroft is trust and respect. The way we build those two things is by building relationships in the dorm. I think everyone in Foxcroft would agree that we have a really close community.
5. What are some experiences that challenged your decision making and leadership?
I would say that finding the medium when to approach someone as a friend, a proctor, or a captain [is challenging].
6. What does music mean to you?
Music to me is an escape. It is something that if I am feeling stressed, I can fall back on it and either play or listen to it.
7. What do you usually play on the guitar?
I pretty much play every day. Most of the genres are old rock or some type of blues.
8. What do you think of John Mayer?
I would say that his work on his guitar is definitely underappreciated. He is often viewed as just a pop artist, and I think that playing the guitar has opened my perspective a lot and gained greater appreciation for his talent as an artist.
9. How are you planning to pursue either hockey or guitar in the future?
Hockey and guitar are both things that I always want to keep in the future, regardless of what I do.
10. What has been one of the highlights of your Andover experience?
I would say my Lower year, beating [Phillips Exeter Academy] in overtime during Andover/Exeter weekend.