Boys Lacrosse Sports Spring Sports

Boys Lacrosse Relinquishes Early Lead

Darting down the field, Co-Captain Myles Romm ’16, Post-Graduate (PG), fired a swift shot for his second goal within the first six to give Andover Boys Lacrosse a 3-2 advantage early in its game against Brewster. Romm’s effort would prove to not be enough, however, as Andover later lost its lead and fell 11-9 to drop its record to 2-4.

Andover started the game well, taking a lead in the beginning. Strong performances from Romm and Reed Findlay ’18 led the team to a 4-3 lead after the first quarter.

Nick Bevacqua ’19 and Andrew Antonucci ’18 both scored second-quarter goals to give Andover an 8-4 lead heading into the half.

In the second half, Brewster made a comeback and narrowed Andover’s lead to 9-8 by the end of the third quarter.
Brewster pulled away in the fourth quarter, scoring three goals and shutting out Andover to end the game at a score of 11-9.

Bevacqua said, “[We could have worked on] passing and catching. We played an outstanding first half, but came out of the locker room flat after half time. They beat us in possession time, ground balls, and hustle in the second half and it won them the game.”

The team was proud of its effort in the first half and worked hard both on offense and defense in the first half.
Conor Zachar ’19 said, “We played very well offensively and defensively in the first half and limited them to just four goals. However, in the second half we couldn’t get the offense going and were outscored 7-1.”

This year, the team has struggled with keeping its intensity for the whole game.

Findlay said, “We need to work harder as a team and play a full game. Not one half.”

Going forward, Andover hopes to work its hardest throughout the whole game and finish strong.

Larson Tolo ’18 said, “The game today wasn’t so great. We started out playing the best lacrosse we have played to date, but we kind of fell apart after halftime. They came out with energy and a strategy that we just couldn’t answer to. We have a lot to work on in practice, but we will be ready to play come Saturday.”

The team hopes to improve its game by solidifying its basics then moving forward.

“It was a tough game to let slip away especially in the way that it did. Nonetheless, we are looking ahead to our next game this Saturday at Williston and have two hard days of practice before then to work out the kinks and mistakes that we made during the game against Brewster. It’s not the outcome we wanted but there are positives to take away that we will look to build on for Saturday’s game,” said Ellerton.

This Saturday, the team will face Williston Northampton and looks to maintain consistent effort throughout the entire contest.