Game Against Proctor Cancelled Due to Zamboni Exhaust in Team Rink

Andover’s game against Proctor was cancelled after several Proctor hockey players were hospitalized because exhaust from Proctor’s zamboni was trapped inside their rink due to an air filtration issue. Said starting goalie Eric Yoon ’11, “I was a little disappointed that the game was cancelled, and I know my team mates were bummed as well, but it was also great because we got an extra two hour practice out of it. We really needed it to work on our power play and to get back in shape from winter break.” While the boys varsiy hockey team feels disappointed about the Proctor game, the players are ready to move on to face Choate, especially after several great games over winter break. The highlight of the break came in an exciting Flood Mar Tournament victory over a tough Hotchkiss opponent after the team lost the first two games of the tournament to Milton and Westminister. The team ended the tournament with a 4-1 loss to Salisbury. Earlier in the break, the team suffered a 3-1 loss to Pomfret and pulled off a 5-4 win over Worcester and a 7-0 win over Pingree. Bryan Ackil ’14 led off the scoring in the Hotchkiss game, firing a shot into the net after a great pass from Assistant Captain Eddie Ellis ’13. Ackil scored the first of five on the day for the team. Ten minutes into the first period, post graduate Conor Coveney added to Andover’s lead with a goal off a centering pass from Conor Flanagan ’11. Not two minutes later, Coveney netted another, giving Andover a commanding 3-0 lead. Andover started its scoring early in the second period with a great shot from Thomas Shannon ’12 only a minute in. After holding Hotchkiss scoreless in the first period, the Andover defense couldn’t restrain the Hotchkiss wingers any longer, giving up two goals in a span of two minutes. In the third period, Andover came out ready to finish off the game, but slipped up again, allowing Hotchkiss to find the net one last time. With less than a minute left, Hotchkiss pulled their goalie, hoping to find the net one last time to tie it up, but post graduate Andrew Sullivan finished on the open net to seal the win. “We got off to a good start, going up three nothing in the first period. We were able to help out Kirsch in the back with strong play in the defensive zone, and ride that momentum for the rest of the game,” said Ellis after the 5-3 win. The boys took on a tough Salisbury team in the fourth game of Christmas break. In the first period, Andover’s sloppy play in the defensive zone put the team down 2-0 going into the first intermission. Not ready to give up yet, the boys came out of the intermission firing on all cylinders. After good, hard work in the offensive zone, post graduate Andrew Sullivan fired a shot into the back of the net for the first Andover goal. After a strong second period, the boys had momentum going into the final period, but couldn’t stop the strong Salisbury offense, allowing two more goals. Andover failed to score again, ending the game in a 4-1 loss. The team now prepares for a tough battle at Choate.