Andover Soccer Trumps Loomis for First Time in Eight Years

Jake Rohwer ’11 knocked in a beautiful header on a cross from Andrew Woonton ’11 for the game winning goal in a thriller against Loomis this past Saturday, leading Andover to a 3-2 home victory. On Wednesday, Andover tied Holderness 1-1 on a goal by Tebs Maqubela ’11. Early in the first half on Saturday, Loomis broke through the Andover defense and scored first. Andover quickly regained composure and fought back, as Co-Captain Garnet Hathaway ’10 scored the equalizer on a penalty kick. Andover came out with more intensity and energy to start the second half, but had trouble building momentum. Things took a turn for the worse when Loomis took the lead on a penalty kick of their own to make the score 2-1. Andover refused to stay behind for long, however. Andrew Woonton ’11 scored a beautiful goal assisted by Gabriel Cordero ’12. After streaking up the sideline, Andrew Woonton slipped a shot beneath the Loomis keeper into the left corner of the net. The contest was very physical and spirited on both sides. A grand total of six yellow cards were given out throughout the game. Andover received one and Loomis received five. “It was a spirited affair. The refs were not great either way, but the boys kept their composure,” Coach Carr said. Rohwer, playing center midfield, fought off cramps all game, endurance that proved crucial for Andover. With the score tied, 2-2, Rohwer headed a cross from Woonton into the bottom right corner of the net for the game-winning goal. In addition to his game-tying goal and assist to Rohwer, Andrew Wonton controlled the left side of the field all game in a phenomenal effort. “The game hinged on the effort, energy and creative skill of Andrew Woonton,” said Carr. “He took control and made run after dangerous run. Loomis had no answer.” Peter Lee-Kramer ’11 and Kyle Leahy ’10 held the defense together in the back, providing a steady presence at the two center back positions. Leahy anchored the defense for the full ninety minutes. “It was not a thing of beauty, but it was a hard fought victory over a very good opponent,” Carr said. Andover lost to Loomis last season, 3-1, so this win was an especially satisfying early season victory for the big blue. On Wednesday, Andover took the long drive up to Holderness and tied 1-1 in a hard fought game. The game went back and forth in the first half with few scoring chances for either team. Lee-Kramer and Leahy again held up the defensive end, as the uneventful first half ended scoreless. “We held the run of play early,” Carr said, “we just couldn’t finish.” About 15 minutes into the second half, Andrew Woonton sent a in a corner to Tebs Maqubela ’11, who kicked it in for Andover’s lone goal. Later into the half, however, Holderness had a free kick about 5 yards outside the 18 yard box. The shot was saved by keeper Spencer Macquarrie ’10, but Holderness got to the rebound first and put it in for the equalizer. Andover had four or five excellent opportunities later in the half, but could not convert for the goal. Andover’s record is now 2-1-1 on the season, and the team looks to improve this Saturday at Tabor.