Andover Drops Two Close Games; Van Valkenburg ’12 Nets Two Goals

With just two minutes left in the first half of Saturday’s game vs. Taft, Co-Captain Alissa Fromkin ’09 received a pass in front of the net where she spun off of a defender and put Andover on the board for the first time. After this goal, Andover was energized and Brooke Van Valkenburg ’12 scored her first goal of the game to put Andover up 2-1 with just under a minute left in the half. Off of the next faceoff, Andover moved the ball into the offensive zone where Van Valkenburg was able to score yet another goal off of an assist from Emily Rademacher ’11. Taft matched Andover’s first goal, however, within the first minute of the game. Taft stormed into the Andover defensive zone and scored with ease. Co-Captain Kaitlin Gaiss ’09 faced shots from every angle as Taft dominated for the first 10 minutes of the game, but could rarely capitalize. At the end of the first half, Andover was up by a score of 3-1 and Gaiss already had 11 saves. After a quick rest, Taft seemed to take its play up a notch as it came out and dominated in the offensive zone to score two goals in just 5 minutes in to tie the game at 3-3. After a quick timeout, Taft was able to score yet another goal to give it the lead for the second time in the game. Despite trailing by one goal, Lauren Glynn ’10 dodged two Taft defenders and scored to put Andover back in the game. Glynn’s goal would not be enough, however, as Taft begsn to figure out the Andover defense. Andover was not able to mount a second come back and eventually lost with a final score of 8-4. On Wednesday, the girls travelled to Governor’s Academy with hopes of making up for the loss to Taft earlier in the week, but lost the matchup 8-5. One minute into the game, Governor’s took an outside shot that beat the Andover defense. In response, Fromkin rolled from the corner and cut across the crease to score and tie the game. Despite controlling possession, Andover was unable to score. At the end of the first half, Governor’s led by a score of 5-2. Just 30 seconds into the second half Fromkin scored her second goal of the game. Governor’s responded with two quick goals, however, putting the game out of reach. The most notable performance of the afternoon was by Katherine Sherrill ’10, who played excellent defense and ended the game with three interceptions and four ground ball pickups. “Today was frustrating because we controlled a lot of the game but just couldn’t capitalize on any of our chances,” said Sherrill.