Boys Soccer Edges Physical Deerfield Squad by One Goal; Andover Looks to Continue Playoff Push in Final Stretch

This week, the Andover Boys Soccer team continued to march closer to a spot in the New England Prep School Soccer tournament with a win and a tie against two good opponents. Saturday, Garnet Hathaway ’10 scored two goals and propelled the team to a 2-1 win against rival Deerfield on parent’s weekend. Both teams started the game by feeling each other out and looking for an opening to break the tie. The Andover defense cracked first. A Deerfield attacker on the right flank sent a cross into the 18-yard box towards the Andover far post. It found a Deerfield player who corralled the cross and fired it to the near post, giving Deerfield the early 1-0 lead. However, Andover would quickly regroup and come back with a goal of its own. In the 24th minute, Hathaway received a ball in the Deerfield 18-yard box. Hathaway was fouled by a Deerfield defender, earning a penalty kick. Hathaway buried the penalty kick into the bottom right corner to put Andover on the scoreboard and tie the game at 1-1. Both defenses stepped up for the remainder of the half, and the game headed into halftime tied at 1-1. The second half was very competitive, with the momentum swinging back-and-forth between the two teams during the entire half. Both teams had very good scoring opportunities, but for the early part of the half neither team was able to capitalize. The game was also very physical, with both teams looking for an advantage to create a scoring chance and break the tie. Andover finally came through in the 78th minute. Andover possessed the ball in the Deerfield end and earned a corner. Trevor Gulick-Stutz ’09 took the corner and sent a high ball into the 18-yard box. The ball found Chase Potter ’09 for a header that beat the Deerfield goalie but hit the crossbar. Hathaway then pounced on the rebound and headed it past the Deerfield goalkeeper and just under the crossbar for the go-ahead goal. The Andover defense held strong in the last ten minutes, and the game ended with an important 2-1 win for Andover, its fourth straight win. Wednesday, facing very difficult playing conditions on the road, Andover managed only a draw against a tough Worcester Academy team. Worcester was one of the toughest teams on the Andover schedule, and they headed into the game with a 10-2-1 record. The weather dictated the pace of play throughout the game, as the field conditions were very bad and made play very difficult. In the first half, Andover was going against a strong wind, giving the advantage to Worcester. Worcester dominated the possession in the first half. They also received numerous chances in the Andover 18-yard box. However, they were unable to convert and the game headed into halftime deadlocked at zero. Andover played better and received more chances in the second half. Worcester, though, received more chances in the Andover 18-yard box, especially off of crosses and throw-ins. However, the Andover defense and goalkeeper Spencer Macquarrie ’10 kept Worcester from scoring, and the game ended in a 0-0 draw. With a win and a draw, Andover’s record is now at 10-1-2. Saturday, Andover will face a very tough test, as it hosts K.U.A. at 6:00pm under the lights at Phelp’s Stadium. K.U.A. comes into the game with only one loss on the season.