Andover Soccer Cruises to Another 2-0 Week; Mike DiFronzo ’11 Nets Goal in Both Games

Saturday, Garnet Hathaway ’10 scored two goals, leading the Andover Boy’s Soccer team to a 3-1 victory at NMH. Andover took the lead early in the game. Hathaway scored the first of his two goals early in the game to give Andover the important 1-0 lead. Despite the lead, NMH took control of the pace of the game in the first half. However, the Andover defense held strong and prevented NMH from tying the game. Andover regained the momentum by scoring again. Off a corner kick, Mike DiFronzo ’11 headed the ball past the ball to give Andover a 2-0 lead. However, late in the game, NMH responded with a goal to close the gap to 2-1. Moments later, Andover put the game out of reach with another goal. An Andover cross found Hathaway inside the 18-yard box. Hathaway headed the ball past the NMH goalkeeper to put the game out of reach and give Andover a 3-1 lead. Andover closed out the game, winning 3-1. Wednesday, goalkeeper Spencer Macquarrie ’10 lead the Andover defense to a shutout victory, as Andover beat Cushing 3-0. The first half was physical, with both teams trying to open up space for scoring opportunities. Andover broke through with a good opportunity with 16 minutes left in the half. Tebs Maqubela ’11 earned a free kick about 30 yards from goal. Captain Matt Gorski ’09 took the kick, sending a ball into the 18-yard box. Hathaway came through and headed the ball on net, but the Cushing goalkeeper made an easy save to keep the game even. With 13 minutes left, Brian Woonton ’11 sent a through ball to Hathaway on the wing. Hathaway cut into the 18-yard box and chipped a shot for the upper right corner. The ball sailed just wide, and the game remained deadlocked. Andover earned another free kick in the midfield near the end of the first half. Andrew Woonton ’11 received a pass off of the kick in good position, but hit the side netting. While the Andover offense received quality scoring chances, the Andover defense held Cushing to perimeter shots. The half ended with the game level at 0-0. Andover finally broke through in the second half. Early in the second half, Hathaway received a through ball after A. Woonton and Gorski combined to slip Hathaway in at the top of the 18-yard box. He beat a defender, and then chipped the ball over the Cushing goalkeeper and just under the crossbar to give the team a 1-0 lead. About five minutes later, Hathaway went up for a ball, but was elbowed in the face to earn a yellow card and a free kick in the midfield. Gorski sent a ball into the 18-yard box and found Trevor Gulick-Stutz ’09 in front of the net for a header. Gulick-Stutz placed the header in the lower left corner to extend the Andover lead to 2-0. Soon after, DiFronzo received a pass at the top of the 18-yard box off a great play from Hathaway and Gulick-Stutz. He then fired a shot low to the left corner to put the game out of reach at 3-0. Andover kept the pressure on, receiving several more scoring opportunities and dominating the pace of the game. Andover went on to win 3-0. With a two-win week, Andover has extended its win streak to three games and is 9-1-1 on the season. Saturday, Andover will host Deerfield for Parent’s Weekend at 3:15 PM.