Boys Basketball Hangs on to Beat Thayer, 55-47; Clutch Shooting by Bond ’10 Rallies Late Surges

With under a minute and a half remaining on the clock in a tied game, Menelik Washington ’09 sunk a jumper from the corner of the paint for the go-ahead basket in Andover’s huge 55-47 victory over Thayer last Friday. Washington and Khalid McCaskill ’10 had 13 points apiece leading Andover in a rollercoaster game from the very start. After a tight and well-fought first half by both teams, Andover entered halftime leading, 29-27. Andover built its lead to five points with just over three minutes remaining. After two quick Thayer baskets, however, the game was tied up at 47- 47, forcing Andover to call a time out with 1:28 left in the game. The timeout proved worthwhile, as Andover came out immediately and found Washington, who, after dominating the first half, scored his first basket of the second half to put Andover ahead for good. McCaskill was a crucial player down the stretch as well, scoring four points in the final minute of play and coming up with a huge steal on defense that led to another two points for Andover on the other end of the court. On Saturday, Andover battled hard against an incredibly talented Noble and Greenough team, which has compiled an 18-2 record so far this season. It wasn’t enough, however, as Andover fell 69-54. On Wednesday, Andover hosted Tabor in an incredibly fast-paced and exciting overtime loss, 62-58. Postgraduate forward Dan Evans ’08 controlled the entire game for Andover on the offensive end, netting a season-high 22 points for Andover, and Bond hit the tying three-pointer with less than 30 seconds to play to force overtime. Once in overtime, however, Andover struggled, scoring just five points, and couldn’t hold of Tabor’s late surge. After the opening minutes, Andover looked like it might run away with an easy win, jumping out to a formidable 17-4 lead. Despite the early lead, however, Tabor didn’t stay down for long, and slowly fought its way back towards the end of the first half. After missed opportunities by Andover, Tabor made it to halftime leading, 24-23. The game went back and forth for the entire second half. Bond once again came up huge down the stretch, scoring nine of Andover’s final 11 points. His last, and most timely basket, came with 30 seconds left in regulation, as Andover trailed 53-50. Bond, who had already hit two consecutive three-pointers, made it three when he set up in the corner and drained a clutch jumper from beyond the arc to tie the game at 53, forcing the game into overtime. Andover will have to wait until next Thursday to get back into action, when the team welcomes Brooks to Andover’s home floor.