PA Field Hockey Falls in Heart-Breaking 2-1 Loss in Overtime; Last Offensive Drive by Exeter Leaves Big Blue Disappointed

Kaitlyn McInnis’s ’09 lone goal this Saturday against Exeter kept Andover’s hope of winning alive, but Andover unfortunately fell to its rivals in a 2-1 dramatic 10-minute overtime. Despite Andover’s powerful offense, its defensive line could not hold up to Exeter’s determined players. Senior mid-fielder Emily Cokorinos said, “[The game] had lots of highs and lows. There were moments where I totally felt Andover’s energy, but there were also moments where I wondered why we weren’t playing more aggressively and jumping on every ball.” Lower Colleen Flanagan remarked, “the team played with its usual cohesiveness which sets us apart from other teams and continues to be our strength; however, our usual fire and aggressiveness did not match Exeter’s.” Andover was self-assured at the start of the game; as Cokorinos commented, “We went into the game knowing that we would have a bid into the post-season NE Tournament, and Exeter would not. It set us up with a lot of confidence, but also sent Exeter out there with an ‘all-or-nothing’ mind set.” Andover’s play was unusually slow in the first half of the game. Exeter scored the first goal of the game with just under 14 minutes left in the half. Exeter’s unexpected goal boosted Andover’s motivation on the field, but Andover could not score. The first half ended with Andover down 1-0. At the start of the second half, Andover came out with a more determined and energized attitude. Early on Steph Clegg ’08 had a well placed assist to McInnis ’09, who tied up the score for Andover, 1-1. Andover continued to dominate both offensively and defensively throughout the second half, preventing Exeter from scoring, yet still unable to net a goal to put it ahead. After a tremendous effort by both teams and several missed scoring opportunities, the game ended in a 1-1 tie forcing the team’s to continue to a 7v7 ten-minute overtime. Andover started the overtime in a similar fashion to the second half: powerful and driven. However, it still could not get that elusive second goal. With three minutes remaining in the overtime period, Exeter scored the winning goal, defeating Andover. The team played in the first round of the New England Playoffs this Wednesday against Deerfield, winning 1-0.