Meg Shea ’07 Scores Game Winner in Final 11 Seconds; Last Minute Heroics Propel Andover Big Blue to 5-1 Record

Once again, the Andover field hockey team won in the final seconds last Saturday, as Meg Shea ’07 scored with just 11 seconds left on the clock to defeat Choate 3-2. Andover started the game slowly after a long bus ride against a fast and aggressive Choate team, and at the 18 minute mark, Choate took a 1-0 lead. Despite numerous chances for both teams, the score held at 1-0 heading into half time. Andover started the second half with a quick goal to tie the game 1-1. Just 90 seconds into the second half, Carly O’Leary ’07 scored on an assist from Britney van Valkenburg ’08. However, Choate responded with a goal of its own just two minutes later to take the lead 2-1. With the score still 2-1, Choate received a penalty stroke with the chance to increase their lead but failed to capitalize as the shot went wide. Andover started to pick up its play. With 3:40 left in the game, PA earned a corner, and Lauren Jackson ’07 scored to tie the game 2-2. With less than one minute to go in the game, Jamie Harisiades ’08 forced the Choate defense to give Andover a corner. With just 11 seconds left on the clock, Shea shot from a scrum in front of the net. Her shot found the back of the net, and Andover took its first lead of the game, 3-2. The Andover defense held on in the final seconds, and Andover earned another stunning victory to move to 5-1. On Wednesday, the Andover field hockey team scored two goals in 90 seconds in yet another unbelievable comeback to tie Milton 2-2. Defense dominated the game during the first half, as both offenses were shut out despite several chances. The game headed into half time at 0-0. With 9:40 remaining, Milton broke the tie with a goal resulting from a fast break. Moments later, Milton scored again off a corner, and with eight minutes left in the game, Milton led 2-0. The Andover offense continued to struggle until, with just 90 seconds left in the game, O’Leary scored a tough goal to put Andover on the scoreboard. “It was a very scrappy goal,” said Jackson. Moments later, the Milton goalkeeper committed a foul, and Andover was given a penalty stroke. Jackson shot and scored on the Milton goalie to tie the game 2-2 with seconds remaining. The Andover defense stopped the Milton attack from scoring in the final seconds, and Andover kept the 2-2 tie heading into overtime. Andover had the momentum heading into overtime. However, neither team was able to score during the extra period due to strong defense on both sides. The game ended tied 2-2, and Andover moved to a solid 5-1-1 on the season. Despite the tie, Andover played yet another strong game from behind, showing their incredible resolve and confidence.