Field Hockey Knocked out of Playoffs, Finishes Season with Straight Loses

Despite hard play and many close opportunities, the Andover Girls Varsity Field Hockey team closed out its season this week with two losses against Exeter and Hotchkiss. In double shutouts, Andover went down to Exeter 0-2 and lost to Hotchkiss in the playoffs 0-3. The first half of Saturday’s game against Exeter was very close, but in the second half Exeter managed to pull ahead. The first few minutes of the game were controlled predominantly by the Andover side. Playing well for the offense were Lindsay Moramarco ’06, Whitney Annicelli ’06, and Carolyn Pollard ’07, but even their feisty and aggressive play could not yield a goal as the Exeter defense was very tough. Hustling and playing well in the midfield were Ali Zindman ’07 and Jamie Harisaides ’08. The second half was much more action packed. Exeter played well from the beginning and scored about six minutes into the half. Andover tried to fight back, and the defense really stepped up its play. Alyssa Hill ’06, Jevan Jammal ’06, and Megan Montecalvo ’06 played particularly well and challenged the forceful Exeter offense. Luckily, Andover regained strength and had a total of five corners in the half. However, the team was again unable to convert these chances and failed to score. Exeter scored with nine minutes remaining, ending the contest. Despite the loss, Andover still ended the regular season with a phenomenal 12-3 record and a spot in the playoffs. However, an incredibly disappointing game against Hotchkiss ended the season, with 0-3 loss. From the beginning, it was clear that Hotchkiss came ready to play. It proved to be an unstoppable force that Andover could not control. The first half was scoreless until seven minutes left when Hotchkiss scored off a corner. Three minutes later, the Bearcats scored again off a fantastic stroke. The first half ended with a score of 2-0 to Hotchkiss. Andover returned to the field in the second half eager and ready, but so did Hotchkiss. Maintaining impeccable technique and flawless passing, Hotchkiss took over. However, Andover did not give up. The defensive players stopped many Hotchkiss fast breaks, but there were too many. The Andover offense was unable to score and tie up the game as Hotchkiss consistently maintained possession. This great play by Hotchkiss led to its third and final goal of the game. The contest ended with Andover losing 0-3.