Offense Powers Andover Boys Soccer; Outscore KUA, New Hampton 13-2

The Andover Boys Varsity Soccer team reestablished its might this week, tallying thirteen goals in two games. On Saturday, it rolled over Kimball Union Academy by a score of 5-1. On Wednesday, Andover drubbed New Hampton 8-1 in its highest scoring performance of the season. Rory McCrae ’06 carried the team to a 5-1 win against K.U.A., scoring twice and recording two assists. T.J. Thompson ’06 also had a goal and an assist, while both Pumi Maqubela ’06 and Zach Dixon ’08 scored once. Andover carried that momentum into its Wednesday game and overpowered New Hampton 8-1. Thompson and Alex Clifford ’07 led the offensive charge with two goals each. In the fifteenth minute, Thompson initiated a bit of offense. He sent a long, towering pass from midfield to McCrae, who was closing in on the goal. On the receiving end, McCrae took his time and knocked the ball into the left side of the net, giving Andover a 1-0 lead. Andover struck again just a minute later. Justin Wu ’06 and Chris Wade ’08 brought the ball down the field in a series of passes and gave it to Clifford on the right side. Clifford squeezed around a pair of New Hampton defenders and sliced the ball into the net to put Andover up 2-0. In the thirtieth minute, John Gardner ’08 and Mike Donelan ’08 combined to turn around a New Hampton threat on goal. This stop catalyzed more Andover offense. Andover began a continuous barrage of shots and scored five minutes later, taking a 3-0 advantage. In the forty-second minute, McCrae made a strong defensive stop. Andover then carried the ball back down the field to Thompson, who scored and put the team up 4-0. The team took this lead into halftime. Andover appeared even more in command in the second half. Thompson scored early, giving the team a 5-0 lead. Shortly thereafter, in the fiftieth minute, Andover scored again. Following a throw-in in on the left side, McCrae lifted the ball across the field to Captain Mike Spiak ’06 on the right. He then shoveled the ball to Wu, who relayed it back. Captain Spiak tapped it in from close range and put Andover on top 6-0. Andover replaced its starters but continued to dominate possession, spending the majority of time on offense. In the sixty-third minute, Wade sent a booming drive across to Dixon on the right side near the goal. Closing in, Dixon fired the ball into the net and put Andover up 7-0. In the seventy-first minute, Merzudin Ibric ’06 easily outran a New Hampton defender in a race to the ball and, with a tricky maneuver, slipped around the keeper and gave Andover an 8-0 lead. Andover remained a steady force and held on for an 8-1 win.