Boys Squash Bests Middlesex; Blue Defeated by Belmont Hill

Middlesex never even had a chance. PA’s opponents were unable to win a single match in last Thursday’s contest. This was the Big Blue’s ninth victory of the 2003 winter season. Missing Co-Captain Will Walter ’03, it was crucial for everyone to step up, and everyone did. PA failed to match their stellar performance last Wednesday, resulting in a devastating 4-3 loss at Belmont Hill. The Boys in Blue failed to capitalize on their opportunities and suffered from terrible luck. Walter unfortunately lost a tough 5-game match against veteran opponent Chessin Gertler, an accomplished player who had crossed racquets with Walter in the past. At number two, Co-Captain Simonton ’03 beat Jon Fulham after a shaky start, coming back from an early five point deficit in the first game to win that match as well as the next two. Elliot Beck ’05, at the number three spot, put forth a great performance, playing flawlessly through the first and most of the second games against opponent Anthony Bardaro. It was at 7-8 in the second that Beck first faltered. Now tied, 9-6 and 8-10, he went into the third furious and dominated his opponent, winning 9-3, 9-4. The last win was at number four, with Jeff Wessler ’03 shutting down his opponent for only ten points, winning 9-1, 9-7, 9-2. In the second game, the Belmont Hill player really began to pick up the pace and put pressure on Wessler. Wessler, mentally strong as always, quickly figured learned to play to his opponent’s weaknesses, pulling off one of only two 3-game wins. The Belmont Hill players that gave the Boys in Blue the greatest challenge were at the bottom half of the ladder. BH’s number five, Joe Pasquale, did a phenomenal job against Dan Wagman ’06, managing to provide Wagman with his first defeat of the year, after a prolonged three-gamer ending 10-8 in the third. Harry Goldstein ’05 also had a tough loss, starting the match going down in the first game. His opponent Arthur Green then won three in a row, winning the match with a close score of 3-2, 10-9 in the fifth. Then, the final match of the day arrived. All other activity ceased in the squash facility, and both schools’ Varsity and JV teams were watching the match. Belmont Hill’s Frank Cohen was up against Morse, and when everyone came to watch the match, it was into its fifth game. Cohen won the first game, and Morse countered with the second. Cohen then won the third, and Morse destroyed him in the fourth, 9-2. In the fifth game, neither player was able to gain a clear lead. With the game tied at 8-8, Morse faltered twice, resulting in a game and match defeat. Despite a heart-breaking loss this week, the Big Blue plan to avenge their loss in their matches next week.